Thursday, March 25, 2010

The First Step and A Simple Test

On Tuesday, I had my first appointment with a personal trainer at 24hour Fitness. I was half looking forward to it and half dreading it because I hadn’t really done a lot of exercises or working out in several years. But I’ve had more energy lately due to the CieAura sleep and energy chips, and finally felt like trying to get myself active again. The trainer immediately tells me that he prefers to start working with his clients doing full body workouts to strengthen their core and increase their stamina and endurance. So after initially checking my measurements, body fat and discussing my goals, off we go to this step that is nearly as tall as my knee. He tells me to take these two 10 lb weights, hold them up adjacent to my head so that my arms form a 90 degree angle, and step up on my left leg, raise my right knee up to a 90 degree angle, press the weights up over my head, but don’t lock my elbows, hold it there then lower my arms, lower my knee and step back off the step. 10 times. Rest briefly, then reverse legs. I’m sorry, I quietly think to myself…I thought I signed up for the beginner’s class!!?? There is a reason one of his other clients nicknamed him “Grand Master of Torture.” Needless to say, I struggled through it – though he did compliment me on form. A couple of other tortuous exercises later and I was done. Literally and figuratively.
The next day I had the usual soreness that comes with a non-athletic, 37 year old, 215lb out of shape guy who has just been Private Benjamin’ed. But the second day was so much worse. Walking hurt. Sitting hurt. Sleeping hurt. Hurt hurt hurt. My thighs felt like they were going to explode, and part of me was kinda hoping they would. Before bed last night, I considered the fact that I was presented with a great opportunity to test the effectiveness of the pain chip. So I placed ONE PureRelief chip on the center of my right thigh before I went to bed. And of course, as I typically do, I was wearing a RestQuiet chip also. This morning, I woke up at 5:30AM and felt really good, like I’d had a good long sleep….I only got about 4.5-5 hours. I turned my body to get up out of bed and put my right leg down on the floor….hey! my thigh didn’t hurt when I put the weight on it! And then my left leg joined it….OUCH! Still hurting. Granted not as bad as the day before, obviously, but still felt a lot more tenderness in my left thigh than my right. I tried to do a squat and felt just a slight tension in the right, but a LOT more in the left. Sweet! I thought…the pain chip helps with sore muscles too! I am betting it would help me with quicker muscle recovery too, if I apply the chips right after a workout. Hrm…gonna have to give that a try next.
After slapping another pain chip on my left thigh, and a couple of energy chips on the left and right side of my chest just below the collarbone, I went off to the gym. Today just doing cardio. 55 minutes on the elliptical machine burning about 540 calories, according to what the machine told me anyway. All I know is, I was drenched in sweat by the time I was done, and felt great. In the locker room I checked my weight. Still 215…dang it. Probably shouldn’t have eaten at Rosa’s twice yesterday. Hrm...what was it I said about changing my diet? Focus Jeff! Focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment